GERT-JOHAN COETZEE TO SPONSOR A FASHION BURSARY TO STUDY AT NORTH WEST SCHOOL OF DESIGN
2017 Applications for the R185 000-00 Fashion Bursary is now open.
Fashion designer Gert-Johan Coetzee is looking for a talented, driven student who wants to follow in his footsteps, and has opened applications for the GJC Bursary 2017 worth R185 000. One aspirant designer will not only have their study costs covered for the three-year international course at the North West School of Design, but will also be personally mentored by Gert-Johan Coetzee.
The prize includes a Bernina SA sewing machine an overlocker valued at R35 000.
To apply, complete the online GJC bursary application available on www.nwsd.co.za and submit along with the supporting documents as specified on the website.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Applicants should familiarize the Fashion Design course presented by North West School of Deisgn
For more information on the courses, go to http://nwsd.co.za/full-time/
2. The theme for all three the bursaries is Style Tribes #Subcultures
A style tribe or fashion tribe is a group of people that dress in a distinctive style to show their membership in this group.
Style, is an ever-evolving, ever-changing expression of one’s truest self. Trends also change. Fashion evolves constantly. But even the most dedicated trend followers and fashion leaders among us all tend to fall into different fashion cliques— “style tribes or subcultures.”
At any given time in fashion, we will find that there is dominating subcultures and style tribes that influence and inspire designers.
Examples include #Boho, #Grunge, #Preppy, #Minimalists, #PowerPlayer, #Street Style #Hippie
3. To apply for the bursary, entrants should complete the online application available on www.nwsd.co.za and submit the supporting documents as specified.
Fashion Design Applicants should submit the following electronically, (via the website application)
• 2 Designs based on any Style Tribe, A4 in size and in colour,
• Moodboard depicting style tribes and the necessary application form.
• Motivational letter about who you are and why you are a candidate for the bursary
4. The winners of the bursary will complete his/her three years of tuition at the North West School of Design in Klerksdorp.
5. Bursary excludes accommodation, transport and meals.
6. The closing date for the competition is on 15 August 2016.
7. 15 Fashion Design Semi-finalists and will be selected by Gert-Johan Coetzee. Semi Finalists will be announced by 2 September 2016.
These semi-finalists will be contacted telephonically.
8. Semi-finalists will be given a further assignment to be completed and submitted by 16 September 2105. The info of this assignment will be electronically submitted to their email addresses.
9. Thereafter, Gert Johan Coetzee will select 7 Fashion Design finalists. All finalists will be notified by the end of September 2016.
10. All finalists will have to attend the Platinum Fashion Festival of North West School of Design which will be hosted on 5 November 2016 in Klerksdorp.
11. All the finalists will be expected to be active participants in a Fashion Talk, facilitated by Gert-Johan Coetzee, as well as one on one interviews with Gert-Johan Coetzee. The winners of the bursary will be announced at the Gala event of the Platinum Fashion Festival.
12. The bursary competition is open to all current Grade 12 learners and to the general public with a Grade 12 Certificate.
13. The Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Design bursary winner will complete their three years of study at North West School of Design. The winner will complete a minimum of 2 internships, per year at Gert Johan Coetzee’s studio.
14. Winner, finalists and semi-finalists must be fluent in English.
17. Winner must be a South African citizen.
18. Winner must be able start his/her studies at North West School of Design in January 2017.
19. Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Design bursary winner will receive a sewing machine and an overlocker machine courtesy of Bernina South Africa.
20. Winners must have their own personal laptops with specifications specified by North West School of Design.