LUMINANCE FASHION COMMUNICATION BURSARY Luminance is a South African luxury multi-brand store which offers a world class shopping experience with an African appeal. The store houses both local and international designers and brands that are globally recognised, as well as the in-house St Lumi collection. St Lumi features apparel, shoes and bags made from the finest skins and leather.
The late great Muhammad Ali said, “Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.” Feeling blessed to be celebrating Luminance’s third birthday, chairman Judy Dlamini has announced the launch of a brand-new grant that will give one youngster from an underprivileged background a foot into the luxury fashion retail industry.
The R170 000 Luminance Social Responsibility Grant was inspired by designer Gert-Johan Coetzee’s bursary programme of seven years standing, and will sponsor one extra student at Coetzee’s alma mater, The North West School of Design. NWSD is an international fashion college approved by City & Guilds of London. The three-year Fashion Communication & Buying course leads to the highest international fashion qualification available in South Africa, and will equip the chosen student with skills to work in the business end of the global fashion industry. The student will also be mentored by the Luminance team and have the opportunity to intern at the stores and learn about the business of fashion firsthand.
“As one of the local designers featured in Luminance, Gert-Johan has inspired us with his social involvement, and the way he uses his fashion platform to make a difference in the lives of others,” says Dlamini. “Luminance, through the family foundation that my husband and I founded, has always invested in the education of our youth, focusing on medicine, accounting, actuarial science, engineering and computer science. It is our first venture into supporting students in business within creative arts.” So rather than pure fashion design, Dlamini earmarked NWSD’s Fashion Communication & Buying course, which teaches the business end of fashion – from fashion journalism, marketing and trend forecasting, to buying, event management and online retail aspects. “The student we select will benefit through an internship programme within the Luminance family. We are looking for someone who is driven to succeed in fashion and business and willing to learn…. A good academic record is important to us since it shows discipline, determination and hard work.”
The Luminance Social Responsibility Grant will cover all books and tuition for three years and will include a laptop and a sewing machine from Bernina worth R10 000. The closing date for entries is 15 August. For details on how to enter, go to www.nwsd.co.za.
For media enquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Bernina SA is sponsoring the winner with a Bernette Chicago 5 sewing machine tvalue of R10 000.o the
The closing date for entries is 15 August.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Applicants should first familiarize themselves with the programme and qualifications: Fashion Communication & Buying
For more information on the courses, go to http://nwsd.co.za/full-time/
- The theme for the Luminance bursary is Style Tribes #Subcultures
A style tribe or fashion tribe is a group of people that dress in a distinctive style to show their membership in this group.
Style, is an ever-evolving, ever-changing expression of one’s truest self. Trends also change. Fashion evolves constantly. But even the most dedicated trend followers and fashion leaders among us all tend to fall into different fashion cliques— “style tribes or subcultures.”
At any given time in fashion, we will find that there is dominating subcultures and style tribes that influence and inspire designers.
Examples include #Boho, #Grunge, #Preppy, #Minimalists, #PowerPlayer, #Street Style #StyleTribe, #Subculture #Hippie
- To apply for the bursary, entrants should complete the online application available on www.nwsd.co.za and submit the supporting documents as specified.
Fashion Communication & Buying Applicants should submit the following electronically, (via the website application)
- A Fashion Essay, (Fashion Blog) on Style Tribes that are dominating the trends for Spring Summer 2016/2017. Any images that are added should be annotated with the source without crediting it clearly will be disqualified. The essay can be written in Word and uploaded to the online application
- Moodboard depicting style tribes and the necessary application form. This is a creative document filled with image (collage) showing different style tribes. You can complete this in Word and upload the document to the online application
- A written motivation where you tell us about yourself and why you believe you are the ideal candidate for the bursary, and briefly explain how you will fit in with the Luminance Brand.
- The winners of the bursary will complete his/her three years of tuition full time at the North West School of Design in Klerksdorp.
- Bursary excludes accommodation, transport and meals.
- The closing date for the competition is on 15 August 2016.
- 10 to 15 Fashion Communication Finalists will be selected by Luminance. Semi Finalists will be announced by 2 September 2016.
These semi-finalists will be contacted telephonically.
- Semi-finalists will have a task to be completed and submitted by 16 September 2105. The info of this task will be electronically submitted to their email addresses.
- Thereafter, Luminance will select 5 to 7 finalists. All finalists will be notified by the end of September 2016.
- All finalists will have to attend the Platinum Fashion Festival of North West School of Design which will be hosted on 5 November 2016 in Klerksdorp.
- All the finalists will participate in a Fashion Talk, facilitated by Gert-Johan Coetzee as well as one on one interviews with Luminance &/or Gert-Johan Coetzee. The winners of the bursary will be announced at the Gala event of the Platinum Fashion Festival.
- The bursary competition is open to all current Grade 12 learners and to the general public with a Grade 12 Certificate.
- The Luminance Bursary winner will complete his/her three years of study at the North West School of Design. The winners will complete a minimum of 2 internships, per year, over term-breaks.
- Value of the bursary is R170 000-00.
- Winner, finalists and semi-finalists must be fluent in English.
- Winner must be a South African citizen.
- Winner must be able start his/her full time studies at North West School of Design in January 2017.