Course duration: March to December.
Tuesdays & Thursdays – 17h30 to 19h00
- Attendance registers are kept
- Students do not qualify for a certificate if more than 25% of lecturing has been missed over the duration of the course due to absenteeism without medical certificate.
- Fee structures, material-and-equipment requirements are available by submitting your contact details on the CONTACT US page or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A portfolio of work is not compulsory, but is an advantage.
- Prior training in sewing and art are not admission requirements.
- Candidates must read, write and understand English
Module 1: Introduction to fashion
Includes Design Principles, Garment Illustration, Textiles, Garment Costing and Basic Pattern drafting for the individual figure.
Module 2: Pattern Making
Engineer (design, plan and construct) patterns for blouses, skirts, pants, sleeves, collars & necklines. Apply practical skills of pattern manipulation.
Module 3: Garment Construction:
Cutting & Sewing of various garment components: Collars, facings, zips, fly’s, seams, hems, etc enabling students to sew at least 3 garments within 6 months of study.
Module 4: Fashion Show
The annual Graduation Fashion show forms part of an Awards Ceremony at year-end. Part time Students design & make a one garment range to showcase at the annual fashion show. Design, cost and plan. Mark, plan and cut fabrics. Assemble complete garments.
Module 5: Corset Design and Making
Based on a book by Principal Marlene Oosthuizen, students learn all technical, creative and constructional techniques of making corsets
Module 6: Open Module
All work and assignments completed by students will be moderated by external assessors (Moderation dates: 27 & 29 November 2012), but students will make use of the scheduled open modules to update all moderation assignments with lecturer guidance and assistance
Optional modules to add: (Add on courses)
– Lingerie – Shoe Design
– Soft Tailoring – Window Dressing
– Make u’re own denim – Theatrical Costume Design
– Bridal Couture – Fundamentals of Jewelry Design
– Fashion Photography – Fashion Events Management
The part time fashion course is partially based on the following SAQA unit standards
SAQA Reg. Nr. Unit Standard Title
12417 Measure, estimate & calculate
physical quantities & explore, critique & prove geometrical relationships in 2 and 3 dimensional space