2023 Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Bursary
World renowned designer to the stars, Gert-Johan Coetzee is launching his annual bursary for one lucky winner to study fashion design at his alma-mater, North West School of Design. Since 2009, Gert-Johan Coetzee has given this deserving bursary to a winner to study Fashion Design for 3 (three) years.
This the inception of this bursary it has been very successful in shaping the future of the winners whereby some of them is either currently employed by designers, being fashion designers themselves with established clients, working in the fashion industry as stylists and bloggers and just making a positive impact in the fast-paced world of the changing South African fashion industry.
This bursary includes tuition fees and a Bernina sewing machine totalling R204 900,00
The lucky winner will commence their studies on 31 January 2024.
North West School of Design is an Internationally Accredited fashion school which has recently celebrated 25 years of training South Africa’s top designers and fashion professionals.
When does the bursary open?
The bursary will be launched on 1 December 2023.
When is the bursary closing?
Closing date for the competition is on 22 December 2023.
3 finalists will be notified on 31 December 2023 by North West School of Design whereby arrangements will be made for the finalists to have a telephone / video interview with Gert Johan Coetzee.
The winner will be announced on 5 January 2024
How do I enter the competition?
To enter the bursary the following steps are to be taken:
- Upload a video of yourself whilst dressed in your favourite style and describe your style, or show us one of your latest design sketches.
- Include, who you are and where you are from.
- Tell us more about your style or your design sketch.
- This must not be longer than 1 minute.
- Upload all this to your social media, Tik-tok and Instagram and you must use the following hashtags, #nwsd, #gert, #gertbursary2023, #fashiondesign, #fashionbursary, #fashionschool and the use these tags, @nwsdfashion and @gertjohancoetzee.
- Visit the website, www.nwsd.co.za, complete the online application and press submit.
Terms & Conditions
- All applicants should be South African citizens.
- Currently in Gr 12 or older.
- If applicants have successfully passed their Gr 12, they should be in possession of a Gr 12 certificate with diploma exemption.
- Applicants that have studied something else, are also allowed to enter.
- Applicants may re-enter if they entered competition previously.
- Winner must be able to commence their studies in Klerksdorp, on 31 January 2024.
- Winner must be able to read, speak, write, and understand English.
- Winner must be a South African citizen.
- Winner will also be required to complete 2 annual internships at Gert-Johan Coetzee studios, whereby Gert Johan and his team will mentor and guide you.
- Excluded from the bursary is personal stationery, personal laptop, accommodation, and meals, which the winner will have to provide for themselves.