Gert Johan Coetzee Fashion Communication Bursary
Celebrity fashion designer Gert-Johan Coetzee plans to grow the South African fashion industry through the Gert-Johan Coetzee bursary programme.
The renowned designer, Gert Johan Coetzee says that he chose education as part of his social conscience theme for his 2016 Spring/Summer collection which he showcased at the opening show of SA Fashion Week and that this year he will be introducing a bursary for a prospect student who wishes to study and be in the more commercial side of fashion.
“Every season we try to do something for the country for fashion and this season we have chosen education. We have a bursary programme that has been running for the last six years.
“This year we have added a fashion communication bursary to that which is the more on the none-fashion side of fashion where you could become a fashion editor, where you could become a fashion buyer, it’s the more commercial side of fashion”, said Coetzee.
NWSD’s Fashion Communication course, teaches the business end of fashion – from fashion journalism, marketing and trend forecasting, to buying, event management and online retail aspects.
The Gert Johan Coetzee Fashion Communication Bursary will cover all books and tuition for three years.
Bernina SA is sponsoring the winner with a Bernette Chicago 5 sewing machine to the value of R10 000.
The closing date for entries is 9 October 2017.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Applicants should first familiarize themselves with the programme: Fashion Communication and Buying For more information on the courses and qualifications, go to http://nwsd.co.za/full-time/
2. The theme for the bursary is Style Tribes #Subcultures – A style tribe or fashion tribe is a group of people that dress in a distinctive style to show their membership in this group. Style, is an ever-evolving, ever-changing expression of one’s truest self. Trends also change. Fashion evolves constantly. But even the most dedicated trend followers and fashion leaders among us all tend to fall into different fashion cliques— “style tribes or subcultures.”
At any given time in fashion, we will find that there are dominating subcultures and style tribes that influence and inspire designers. Examples include #Boho, #Grunge, #Preppy, #Minimalists, #PowerPlayer, #Street Style #Hippie
3. To apply for the bursary, entrants should complete the online application available on www.nwsd.co.za and submit the supporting documents as specified. Fashion Communication & Buying Applicants should submit the following electronically, (via the website application)
• A Fashion Essay, (Fashion Blog) on Style Tribes that are dominating the trends for Spring Summer 2017/18. Any images that are added should be annotated with the source of where the images were found. Applicants who copy and paste text from other sources without fully crediting such sources will be disqualified. This can be written in Word and uploaded to the online application
• Moodboard depicting style tribes and the necessary application form. This is a creative document filled with image (collage) showing different style tribes. You can complete this in Word and upload the document to the online application
• A written motivation where you tell us about yourself and why you qualify for the bursary and briefly explain how you will contribute to the Gert Johan Coetzee Brand.
4. The winners of the bursary will complete his/her three years of tuition at the North West School of Design in Klerksdorp.
5. Bursary excludes accommodation, transport and meals.
6. The closing date for the competitions is on 9 October 2017.
7. 10 Fashion Communication Semi Finalists will be selected by Gert Johan Coetzee. Semi Finalists will be announced by 13 October 2017. These semi-finalists will be contacted telephonically.
8. Semi-finalists will have a task to be completed and submitted by 26 October 2017. The info of this task will be electronically submitted to their email addresses.
9. Thereafter, Gert Johan Coetzee will select 5 finalists. All finalists will be notified by the end of October 2017.
10. All finalists will have to attend the Platinum Fashion Festival of North West School of Design which will be hosted on 11 November 2017 in Klerksdorp.
11. All the finalists will undertake a one on one interview with Gert-Johan Coetzee. The winners of the bursary will be announced at the Gala event of the Platinum Fashion Festival.
12. The bursary competition is open to all current Grade 12 learners and to the general public with a Grade 12 Certificate.
13. The Gert Johan Coetzee Fashion Communication Bursary winner will complete his/her three years of study at the North West School of Design. The winners will complete a minimum of 2 internships, per year, over term-breaks.
14. Value of the bursary is R160 000-00.
15. Winner, finalists and semi-finalists must be fluent in English.
16. Winner must be a South African citizen.
17. Winner must be able start his/her studies at North West School of Design in January 2018.
18. Winners must have their own personal laptops with specifications specified by North West School of Design.
19. Gert-Johan Coetzee Fashion Communication bursary winner will receive a sewing machine courtesy of Bernina South Africa.